Vision & Eye Care
We believe vision and eye care services are a key component of comprehensive primary care. And like direct primary care, we believe that great eye care can be achieved without the hassles of third party or insurance interference.
Direct Optometry Care
At Preferred Family Vision, patients are our #1 priority! Whether you are in Reno, Sparks, Carson City, or Lake Tahoe, our doctor is here for you. Dr. Jennifer Peterson is dedicated to providing comprehensive eye care for your whole family!
The quality we provide is second-to-none and we achieve that by using state-of-the-art equipment. We have extensive experience in the industry, and we would love to give you a new outLOOK on life. Get in touch.
Our office is conveniently located in South Reno near the Damonte Ranch exit on Professional Circle. Call us today to schedule your appointment. We look forward to SEEING you at Preferred Family Vision to provide you with all the care your eyes need!
Comprehensive Eye Exams
Dry Eye Treatments
Diabetic Eye Exams
Pediatric Eye Exams
Jennifer Peterson O.D.
Complete Eye Care
Dr. Peterson has practiced in Northern Nevada since 2003. She worked alongside ophthalmologists, gaining experience managing a wide spectrum of eye disorders.
She practiced at Reynolds Army Community Hospital, Fort Sill, Oklahoma and was a staff Optometrist at Camp Walker, Taegu, South Korea. She has experience providing comprehensive eye care including management of diabetic retinopathy, cataracts and other diseases of the eye.
Dr. Peterson completed her undergraduate studies at Albertson College of Idaho and attended Pacific University College of Optometry in Forest Grove, Oregon.
Frequently Asked Questions
Comprehensive Eye Exam
A comprehensive eye exam may include the following:
- Visual Acuity Testing - to measure the sharpness of your vision (e.g. 20/20)
- Color Blindness Test - to detect hereditary color vision deficiencies
- Cover Test - to check how your eyes work together and look for conditions like strabismus or amblyopia ("lazy eye")
- Ocular Motility Testing (Eye Movements) - problems with eye movements can cause eye strain and may affect reading ability, sports vision and other skills
- Stereoposis Test (Depth Perception)
- Retinoscopy - to obtain an approximation of your eyeglass prescription
- Refraction - to determine your exact eyeglass prescription and determine level of hyperopia (farsightedness), myopia (nearsightedness), astigmatism and presbyopia.
- Slit Lamp Exam - to examine the structures of your eye under high magnification to detect a wide range of eye conditions and diseases including cataracts, macular degeneration, corneal ulcers, diabetic retinopathy and more.
- IOP (Intraocular Pressure) Test - measures pressure inside of your the eye
- Pupil Dilation - to obtain a better view of the eye's internal structures. You should bring sunglasses with you to your exam to minimize glare and light sensitivity on the way home.
- Confrontational Visual Field Test - to check for possible "blind spots" (scotomas) in your peripheral vision.
- Other eye tests - depending on the individual, more specialized testing may be performed
Do I get a discount if I'm a patient of Preferred Family Medicine?
YES! If you are an active member of Preferred Family Medicine, you get the added benefit of discounted eye exams. Call for pricing.
Will you see red eye?
Yes, we see acute eye issues such as red eye and pink eye. Contact us for pricing.
Can I get a prescription for eye glasses?
Will you fit contact lenses?
Not at this time.
I already have an ophthalmologist, can I still see Dr. Peterson?
Yes, Dr. Peterson has many years of experiencing managing chronic eye disease. She will work with your ophthalmologist as needed.
Do you sell glasses at your office?
Not at this time. We have partnerships with some local eyewear offices so that you may get a discount with the purchase of glasses. You may use your prescription wherever glasses are sold.
Do you bill insurance?
No. We believe in transparent pricing and providing the best value. Insurance brings in extra costs. We'd rather pass the saving to our patients. As a results, we keep our prices very competitive.
Comprehensive Eye Exams
A comprehensive eye exam can take an hour or more, depending on the number and complexity of tests required to fully evaluate your vision and the health of your eyes.
Visual Acuity Tests
Color Deficiency Test
Ocular Motility Testing (Eye Movement)
Steropsis Test (Depth Perception)
Visual Field Test
Routine & Acute Eye Care
Treatment of common eye conditions.
Dry Eye Syndrome
Blepharitis (Eyelid Swelling/Inflammation)
Subconjunctival Hemorrhage (Blood in Eye)
Members of Preferred Family Medicine receive the following benefits:
Discounted Eye Exams
Direct Access to Dr. Peterson
Affordable Eye Exams in Reno!
10627 Professional Cir, Ste A
Reno, NV 89521
By Appointment Only